How to create SqLite database with password

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to create SqLite database with password

I would like to create a new SqLite3 database that is protected by a password with Navicat.
    Then I would like to be able to connect to that Database with a C# program.

I expected that the creation wizard of Navicat would provide a text field for specifying a
    password. However, there is no text field to specify the password for a new database.

So how do I specify the password for a new database?

When creating a connection to an existing database file,
    there is a password field on the "General" tab. Therefore I assume that Navicat is able to
    connect to password protected SqLite databases.

Furthermore, on the second tab "Advanced" there is the "Encrypted" option with another text field for a password.
    If I open an existing database (without password) I am able to decrypt the database (Right click on main => Encrypt database).
    and specify a password. If I want to reopen a encrypted database I will have to use the "Encrypted" option on the
    Advance tab and specify that password. This clarifies the purpose of the second password.

But where do I specify the "first one"? Is it possible to set it with a query?

By default, a SQLite database does not require user authentication (no-authentication-required database). After you created a user, the database will be marked as requiring authentication (authentication-required database). Then, user need to provide username and password when connecting to the database file.

To create a user, you can open a SQLite database in Navicat and then click the User icon.

Comment

Thanks. This works fine. However, the password protection does not seem to help much. Navicat actually asks for the password if I try to reopen the protected database. However, if I use "SQlite Expert Personal" the content is shown without asking for a password. Therefore it seems that I have to go for the encryption option anyway.
      Last edited by matameko; 10-10-2016, 01:28 PM.

Comment

Working...
      X