missing values - blank vs null

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• missing values - blank vs null

ANSI SQL won't save a blank as a missing value in a numeric field; MySQl does (ugh!); unfortunately Excel doesn't differentiate. If we could save the choice made in the import wizard's Please select a desired import mode. - Advanced option stick as the default going forward, it would help. Similar problem with blank text fields; missing values, and blanks in enumerated columns.

Really love V12! Nice work!

Liston

Hi Liston,

Do you mean you want set the "Use Empty String as NULL" option to default enabled?

Also, could you please provide your Navicat version? e.g. Navicat for MySQL (Windows) 12.0.10 64-bit

Comment

Hi - yes. We get both nulls and blanks from Excel when there's no data in the field; totally different in SQL. I can fix this in numeric fields with a default null, but you can write blanks into a varchar even though the default is null. If a text value is unknown, it's not blank.

Also: the date order select for the import wizard ("You can define some additional options"); the previous version defaulted to US style MDY (don't know why) but in version 12 I need to fix this every time; interesting results when I forget.

I'm on 12.0.11 64 bit - really love it, and that's from an MS SQL background. Odd, I subscribed to this, but didn't get an e-mail...
      Last edited by Liston; 08-19-2017, 05:30 PM.

Comment

Hi Liston,

Your request has been forwarded to our development team. We will keep improving Navicat in future.

Comment

Working...
        X