Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Allow HotKey for "New Query…" to open new query window w/o "Query" selected.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Allow HotKey for "New Query…" to open new query window w/o "Query" selected.

I've been wanting to communicate this to you guys for years. It's one of a handful of a highly annoying aspects of using Navicat, which I otherwise love.

Currently the user must have "Query" selected before pressing Cmd-N (on Mac OS X) to create a query window. However it would be a much better user experience if a user could press a single hotkey (maybe Shift-Cmd-N?) to be able to launch a new query window for the currently selected database.

And I tried to do that myself using Mac OS X's Keyboard Shortcuts but unfortunately your menus are evidently modal in that they only work correctly in applicable contexts; in this case using the Keyboard Shortcuts to select the "New Query…" menu option creates a new "Untitled" window.

One easy way for you to support my requwst this would be to add a new menu item, something like "File > Advanced > Select New Query…" and have that new menu option to the same thing as pressing the two keys "%5 (Query), %N (New Query…)". Once you add that menu item then your users could use Mac OS X's ability to map single keys to map a single hotkey to open a new query in the current database.

Thanks in advance for considering
    Attached Files

Please press CMD-Y to create new query after selecting your database.

Comment

Hi mayho,

Thanks! I didn't realize that existed.

However, is it possible to make it so it can be remapped that to another key sequence? Cmd-Y is awkward for my hands.

Comment

I am sorry that Navicat does not support custom shortcut key. We will try to improve this in future.

Comment

Is there a similar key for windows? I tried ctrl-Y, but it doesn't seem to work. Thank you.

Comment

Nevermind - answered my own question: qtrl-q. Thank you!

Comment

@mayho: "I am sorry that Navicat does not support custom shortcut key. We will try to improve this in future. "
              => Do you plan to implemented this?
              I find the shortcut Ctrl+R ("run query") is not very easy do (compared to Alt+x on SQL Server Management Studio).

Comment

Hi Ubikuity,

I am sorry that we do not have time frame for implementing custom hot keys feature at this moment. However, for sure we will contact you if any progress is made.

Comment

Working...
                X